[Note: this article will also be available from the navigation bar for your future reference]
We have seen an increased interest in people wanting to start a Linux4Hope branch in their city, so here’s a short guide on how to do that.
Running a Linux4Hope branch takes dedication and a desire to help those in need. Before committing to this, be sure that you can make the time each week to do what needs to be done with your branch.
First and foremost, you’ll need to contact Jaylen Wimbish at email@example.com, stating your interest in starting a branch. For now, we are focusing on increasing our number of branches in the United States.
Once you are given the “go-ahead”, we will list you on this site. You will then need to follow these tips to get started:
- We strongly recommend having a team in your branch to ensure that the handling of applications and delivering of computers is handled efficiently and in a timely manner.
- The first step in running your branch is to, of course, receive computers that can be donated. This is more of an active process than a passive process. We recommend that you post flyers about Linux4Hope in your area to encourage people to donate used computers to our cause, and to encourage those-in-need to apply.
- Once you start receiving computers, you will need to install a Linux operating system on them (not a dual-boot). We recommend the Ubuntu operating system or one of its official derivatives; choose the operating system carefully- consider the capabilities of the computer in your choice. You will, effectively, wipe out all pre-existing data on the computer while providing applicants with a safe-and-secure operating system.
- Applicants are to receive, at minimum, the PC, a monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse. We encourage you to help them set up their computer in their house, and answer any questions they may have about the computer or about Linux4Hope.
- It is your responsibility to check your Linux4Hope account frequently for any new applications for your branch. Instructions on how to do this will be given in detail once you request to start a branch.
We want to thank you for your interest in Linux4Hope. Our current goal is to expand our cause and reach non-profit 501(c)(3) status, and with your help, we can do that.